Monday, April 7, 2008

First victim: Hyman's Seafood (Charleston, S.C.)

Dear Eli and Aaron Hyman,

I think your restaurant is wonderful. The food and service are both excellent. On my latest visit, I noticed something that I think would make it even better.

Your menu has many typos and some inconsistencies that distract from the delicious food it offers. It's not a good reflection of the pleasant experience of eating at your restaurant.

For example: you misspelled the names of several of the celebrities you tout as fans. "Steve Guttenberg" should have a double t. "Ric" Flair doesn't use a k in his name.

Your fish guide was helpful, but had inconsistencies that confused me. I still do not understand the category system.

I'm a copy editor, which is probably why I notice things like this. But even the average person who eats at Hyman's would probably appreciate some improvements to the menu. Your restaurant's reputation deserves a menu of equal merit.

I didn't take a hard copy of the menu (stealing is wrong), but if you send me one, I'd be happy to point out all the things I'm talking about. That way, the next time you need to print menus, you can print great ones!

Thanks for taking the time to listen to a happy customer,

Chelsey Karns

The culprit, Celebrities?

No comments: